Gluten-free. Vegan. No refined sugar. Easy to make. Absolutely delicious!!
This recipe comes from Living Without – a “magazine for people with allergies and food sensitivities”. I took the recipe and made it vegan-style using flax meal gel for the eggs, agave for the honey, and some dairy-free chocolate chips. Warning: reserve a good piece for yourself – the pan seems to vanish within minutes after baking. 🙂
CHOCOLATE CHIP BROWNIES
- 1/2 cup pitted dates soaked in water over night or for at least a few hours
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup gluten-free All-Purpose flour*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons flax meal
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 1/4 cup agave nectar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of dairy-free chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life chips)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a 8 x 8 or a 11 x 7 baking dish with parchment paper. Grease the top of the paper and bottom and sides of the pan with some coconut oil.
Prepare flax meal gel by placing flax meal in a bowl with warm water. Stir with a fork. Set aside.
Place flours, baking soda, xanthan gum, and salt in a bowl. Whisk to combine and set aside.
Drain liquid from soaked dates. Combine dates, coconut oil, flax meal gel, and vanilla in the bowl of a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Mix until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and blend only enough to combine. Scrape batter into a bowl and fold in chocolate chips.
Spread batter into prepared pan and bake for 25- 30 minutes on middle rack. Allow brownies to cool in the pan for about 10 minutes before serving.
* You can make your own Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour Blend – mix together 1/2 cup rice flour, 1/4 cup tapioca starch/flour, and 1/4 cup cornstarch or potato starch. Keep in a closed container in your fridge to keep the blend fresh.