I have to give my husband credit for discovering this delectable salad.
About two years ago, he was in Calgary on business and bought a small chickpea salad at a little grocery store. After the first bite, he knew that this was a salad I would absolutely love. He wrote down the ingredients on a napkin and, once home, he created the same dish. In our home, this salad is now known as “Dad’s Salad”.
This past year, “Dad’s Salad” has been veganized. Honey has been exchanged for agave syrup, as well as mayonnaise for Vegenaise. The outcome is one heck-of-a-good-salad!! Try just having one helping.
CURRIED CHICKPEA SALAD
- 2 tablespoons Vegenaise (a gluten-free, vegan, non GMO dressing and sandwich spread)
- 1 1/2 heaping tablespoons curry powder (for our family, we add 2 tablespoons because we love curry!)
- 1 tablespoon agave syrup
- salt and pepper to taste
Mix ingredients together in a large bowl and let stand.
- 2 cups broccoli florets, raw, blanched or lightly steamed (broccoli needs to be firm)
- 1/2 medium red onion, thinly sliced
- 398 mL can of chickpeas (chose Eden to avoid BPAs in lining of can)
Add ingredients to large bowl with dressing. Mix together.
This salad is a great one for potlucks! My husband has made this for numerous family functions and get-togethers with friends. It has been a hit with both children and adults.
It’s also wonderful as a midnight snack! So I have been told. 😉